NSHA Central Zone, Dietetic Internship & Practicum Training Program
The NSHA Central Zone, Dietetic Internship & Practicum Training Program is a 47 week graduate course commencing late September. Proficiency in English is required.
This dietetic education program is an accredited program recognized by the Partnership for Dietetic Education and Practice (PDEP) and prepares students for eligibility for registration with a provincial dietetics regulatory body.
Philosophy and Goals
The program is designed to enhance learning by providing opportunities to apply theory to real-life situations. The program emphasizes the development of critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills. Dietetic interns are valuable members of the organization and as such, they are expected to contribute to strategic priorities, implementation of new initiatives and achievement of goals and objectives.
The goals of the program are to enable the dietetic intern to:
- Apply knowledge to practical opportunities in a variety of settings.
- Acquire skills in nutrition, management, communication, education and research needed to meet entry level requirements.
- Develop self-confidence and expertise in the performance of professional responsibilities.
- Develop a sense of professionalism.
- Prepare for positions in long-term, primary, secondary or tertiary care institutions, in the community or industry.
- Understand the necessity of life-long learning to maintain a high level of professional competence.
Program Overview From Our Interns
On a Journey to Nutrition Expertise - A Profile of Capital Health’s Dietetic Internship Program. Ali Campbell, past intern, shares her experiences in the Dietetic Internship Program. Read more. . .
Comments from Past Interns
"The internship has exceeded all my expectations. I am impressed with just how much I have learned."
"The past year has developed my confidence in my ability to deal with people and my ability to think critically and analyze situations."
"...Allowed me to build self-confidence and knowledge that I would not have been able to attain through academic study alone".
"Extremely helpful, encouraging, welcoming and knowledgeable support staff."
"Flexibility in schedule development creates an internship focused around your interests."
"Internship coordinator cares about maximizing opportunities and works hard to set up affiliations that meet our goals."
"Staff relief is excellent experience, builds self-confidence and strengthens learning."
"Interns share experiences and are supportive of one another."
"Truly enjoyed the program and would highly recommend it to others."