Our health care social workers are specially trained to assist individuals and families cope with life changes and stress resulting from trauma, illness, or disability.
A social worker can provide assistance during your hospital stay, throughout the clinical treatment process and during your transition back home.
Services our social workers provide:
- Counselling individuals and family members
- Advocating for client concerns and social justice issues
- Coordinating service delivery
- Mobilizing hospital and community resources
- Educating individuals, families, communities, health care professionals and students
All of our social workers are registered members of the Canadian and Nova Scotia associations of social work. We also provide field placements for bachelors and masters of social work students from Dalhousie University's School of Social Work and other accredited universities.
Referrals to a Capital Health social worker can be made by patients, family members, friends, community agencies and/or any member of the inter-disciplinary health care team.
Patient and Family Resources
- Social Work pamphlet (Online reading)
- Social Work pamphlet (Print and fold)
- Have you been in a car accident? Read the Section B Auto Insurance pamphlet